The Maker Competition
Boost Your Making!
THE IDEA OF THE COMPETITION
Is there an unrealized idea, an unfinished product or an uncompleted project on your hard drive, in a desk drawer or in storage? Or maybe you want to upgrade your old work to 2.0? Now it is time to dig it up.
In the Maker Competition you compete in finishing up your plan or an uncompleted work so that it can be shown to the public.
In the competition you build a new on top of the old – just like you do when MacGyvering!
- You have to be over 13 and under 29 years old to participate.
- You can participate just by yourself or in pairs and groups. Maximun group size is 5 people.
- The competition is open to people living in Finland.
STAGES OF THE COMPETITION
STAGE 1. APPLYING
To apply you need to fill in the application form. Take your time in here – after all we don't know anything about your work beforehand!
The participants are selected to participate base on these applications.
In the application you
- present your unfinished project
- explain the jury why you or your group should be selected
- define the things supporting you finishing the work and/or that inspire you to continue with it
- get to propose the prize that suites you best
Registration in closed.
The selection of the competitors is announced on the week 47 at the latest.
STAGE 2. FINISHING THE WORKS
The competitors meet the jury and the other participants remotely during the week 48 (the exact date is given later). This meeting is online.
The competitors are responsible for the progress of their projects. Yet, there is support offered by:
- the mentors. Each competitor has a mentor of their own, the mentor and the competitor are in remote contact 1-3 times during the finishing stage
- things defined in the application form that help to finishing the works
- peer support (the fellow competitors)
The works are finished for showing in the boot camp in Cultural Centre Villa Arttu, Hyvinkää. A limited amount of materials and the equipment of Villa Arttu are available for competitors to use. The jury and the mentors are present there, too, ready to help the competitors.
STAGE 3. EVALUATION OF THE FINISHED WORKS
Instead of naming one projects as the best of all, several prizes are awarded. We are looking for creative, insightful and original ideas for solving problems and finishing the projects. We are looking combinations and comparisons that surprise us. We hope to see for all kinds of makeshift solutions.
Competitors’ voting: The competitors give their votes for their favourites during the boot camp.
Jury’s voting: The jury votes after evaluating the finished works.
Public’s voting: The public votes for the favourites online during February.
STAGE 4. THE PRIZES
The winners are announced and the prizes awarded on 22nd of May 2021 in Nuori Taide 2021 event in Pori, Finland. Nuori Taide 2021 event is a part of the Young Culture Festival 2021.
Those who advance from the stage 1 of the competition will receive:
- support from the mentors
- material and equipment assistance. You can suggested the most suitable prize for you in the application form
- boot camp at Cultural Centre Villa Arttu, Hyvinkää
- product awards
- one weekend stay in Makerspaceman Heikki Pullo's residency at his makerspace in Teijo's Masuuni. Take a look of the makerspace by clicking this link.
THE JURY/THE MENTORS
- Makerspaceman Heikki Pullo
- Visual artist and Aalto University student Felix Bade
- Visual artist Sini Havukainen
- Executive director Päivi Venäläinen, Art Centre for Children and Youth
The works are shown in autumn 2021 in the Cultural Centre Villa Arttu, Hyvinkää. Check our website for upcoming information www.värkkäilyfestari.fi
THE TERMS OF THE MAKER COMPETITION
- 26.10.2020 Applying time extension